You often see mold in the corners of your house, your kitchen, your bathroom, and think to yourself that “it’s just mold” or “that much won’t hurt” or even “I’ll clean that out later. But that small amount of mold could easily grow at an exponential rate if left alone. With kids and families with allergy problems, even a small amount of mold could cause allergies to flare up and sickness to develop. So while it’s still small, get rid of them with these three common household items.
Lemons Aren’t Just for Cooking and Lemonade
You’ve got an amazing antibacterial, antiviral, and fungal solution inside your fridge (or on top of your counter) right now! Lemons’ acidic nature is powerful enough to get rid of most nasty of mold, up to 82% of mold species in fact, including the dreaded black mold you’ve probably heard about.
- Using the full strength of 2-3 lemons, apply their juice to the affected area and leave it for about 5 minutes.
- Scrub the area with a brush and wipe it with a dry cloth.
- Gently apply lemons again to avoid regrowth while leaving a pleasant citrus smell.
Baking Soda isn’t Just for Your Kid’s Paper Mache Volcano
Not just for baking, not just for removing odor, not just for heartburns, but also a mold killer! Baking soda has been a go-to DIY solution for a lot of things, and mold can’t escape its power. Rather than acidity, or being a harsh chemical, baking soda’s ability to absorb moisture is what kills mold, drawing away the water molds needed to survive.
- Place a tablespoon of baking soda in a spray bottle of water and shake until completely dissolved.
- Spray the solution on any surface with mold and scrub.
- Wipe the area clean and check for any remaining mold, if there is still mold repeat step 2
- Spray a thin layer of the solution to dry to avoid the regrowth of mold.
Essential Oils are Perfect for Aromatherapy and Killing Mold
I have essential oils in my house, it’s a way to relax and make a home smell good, but surprisingly enough it’s also a great solution for mold. One of the most common essential oils, Tea Tree oil, is antiseptic and antifungal, making it the best smelling way to get rid of mold.
- Place one teaspoon of Tea Tree oil into a spray bottle with one cup of water and shake vigorously.
- Spray the affected area and leave it for an hour.
- Wipe with a dry cloth or paper towel and check for remaining mold.
- Spray the area again for good measure and add aroma to the room.
These common household items allow a non-toxic non-odorous way to fight mold. They are definitely effective to fight mold, but the best way to fight mold is to know more about the different ways to fight them and the species that are resistant to our methods. I learned a lot about this through research. I recommend you to visit Disaster Plus website as they helped me know more about mold.