It’s that time of the year again! Leaves start to fall and change their color. Pumpkins glow in golden fields. The summer season is officially over, and heat is starting to fade. You already know- the autumn season is coming. This means that winter is also just around the corner.
Some people love the season of autumn. When leaves start to fall to the ground, it signifies that a new season is coming. You can enjoy the view outdoors, but don’t bring autumn inside your house.
You need to prepare your home for the coming winter, so a fall season cleaning is a must. This is also one of the best times to call on your house painters or hood cleaners because some companies don’t accommodate cleaning works during winter because of the cold climate.
Fall Cleaning Checklist
To prepare your home for the winter season below is a checklist which you can use. Tend to this checklist, and you will have a clean and tidy home for the winter season.
Outside the house
· Clean and store patio furniture, umbrellas, and children’s summer toys
· Touch up paint on trim, railings, and deck. Use a wire brush to remove flaking paint.
· Check caulk around windows and doors. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations to re-caulk if needed.
· Inspect the external doors and garage doors. Install weather-stripping door thresholds if needed.
· Wash exterior windows.
· Drain and store garden hoses. Install insulating covers on exterior spigots. In hard-freeze areas, have sprinkler systems blown free of water.
· Check gutters and downspouts. Clear of debris, if necessary.
· Have chimneys and flues inspected and cleaned if necessary.
The Inside of the House
The insides areas of your house also require cleaning like the outdoors. Deep cleaning now to take advantage of good weather and to welcome the approaching holidays with a clean and comfortable home.
1. Kitchen area
· Empty sink and dishwasher, making sure all the dishes are clean. Decide how many loads of dishes you need to do each day to keep the sink clear of dirty dishes.
· Clean and disinfect the counters, stove, and sink.
· Wipe down the backsplash.
· Wipe down cupboards, oven, and refrigerator.
· Sweep and mop the floor.
· Dust the tops of cabinets and refrigerator.
· Clean the condenser coils behind or below the refrigerator.
· Empty cabinets. Wipe down the shelves and replace the contents in an organized way.
2. Living room
· Dust ceiling fans, window sills, and doorjambs
· Have your upholstery cleaned.
· Vacuum carpets pay special attention to corners, edges, and stairs where dirt and pet hair can accumulate.
· Move furniture and vacuum under it.
· Have carpets professionally cleaned.
· Launder and store summer clothes. Hang fall and winter clothes to air out after storage.
· Launder or dry-clean curtains and drapes. If you use a separate set for spring and summer, pack them away for next year and hang your fall and winter window treatments. Don’t forget your farmhouse decor wall signs as well.
· Clean and disinfect sink, counters, toilet, and bathtub or shower.
· Clean mirror
· Sweep and mop the floor
· Empty wastebasket and replenish toiletry supplies
· Empty and clean medicine cabinet. Discard expired medications
· Clean grout with a bleach-based cleanser.
· Wash baseboards
· Dust doorjamb
· Turn mattresses front-to-back and end-to-end to equalize wear.
· Launder or clean all beddings, mattress pads, pillows, duvets, blankets, comforters. Tuck the family into a warm and cozy winter bed.
· Schedule for professional carpet cleaning early this month. Warm October afternoons speed carpet drying. Carpet cleaning firms get busy by the end of October, so schedule now for the best service.
· Clean from top to bottom. Vacuum drapes and window treatments. Clean window sills and window wells. Vacuum baseboards and corners.
· Vacuum upholstered furniture, or have professionally cleaned if needed. Move furniture and vacuum beneath and behind it.
· Wash interior windows.